Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Eldoquin Forte 4% Cream

Contents: 1/2oz or 14.18grams
Price: HKD$161



Description:
This medicine is a skin bleaching agent used to temporarily lighten the skin.
Eldoquin Forte 4% Cream Ingredients: HYDROQUINONE
Eldoquin Forte 4% Cream Directions:
  • Use this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor.
  • Apply a thin layer of medicine to the area that is being treated and rub it in thoroughly.
  • Wash your hands when you are done.
  • Protect your skin from the sun while using this medicine. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing.
  • Do not use on irritated or injured skin.
  • DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE WITH PEROXIDE. This may cause a dark staining of your skin. The staining can be removed by stopping the use of the peroxide and washing your skin with soap and water.

Possible Side Effects:
  • Side effects, that may go away during treatment, include dryness of the skin around the nose and eyes. If this continues or is bothersome, check with your doctor.
  • Stop using the medicine and contact your doctor if you experience redness, stinging, irritation, or a rash. C
  • Check with your doctor immediately if you experience hives, itching, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.

My Opinion:
I've used Eldoquin about 5 years ago when I had a slight burn on my chin and was prescribed by my dermatologist. I've used about half a tube of it and the discoloration was gone.
Recently I've seen all these reviews on beautyexchange.com.hk (please note that I did not get this product for free, I bought it with my own money), and thought of trying it out again for my acne marks.
I've been using it twice daily for a week and some of the acne marks appears to be lighter, but I think it will take a while for it to dissapear.
I'm aware that in certain countries you need a prescription for this product, but in HK you can get it in Watson's without a prescription.
There was some discussion about the safety of this product, and if you are concern I've extracted the following article from medicinenet.com:


FDA Proposes Hydroquinone Ban

On August 29, 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed a ban on over-the-counter sales of cosmetic products containing hydroquinone, a skin-bleaching (lightening) ingredient. According to the FDA, approximately 65 companies sell over 200 different types of skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone in the U.S. Currently, products that contain up to 2 percent hydroquinone may be sold in the U.S. without a prescription, and prescription skin-lightening products may contain up to 4 percent hydroquinone. Examples of prescription products containing hydroquinone are Lustra, Tri-Luma, and EpiQuin Micro.

Hydroquinone products are popular for their skin-lightening properties in Asian and African cosmetics markets. In the U.S., they also are marketed for reducing age spots and blemishes.

The reason cited for the proposed ban is that studies in rodents show "some evidence" that hydroquinone may act as a carcinogen or cancer-causing chemical, although its cancer-causing properties have yet to be proved in humans. Hydroquinone also has been linked with the medical condition known as ochronosis in which the skin becomes dark and thick. Dome-shaped yellowish spots and grayish-brown spots also are observed in ochronosis among black women and men in South Africa, Britain, and the U.S. Ochronosis has been observed in conjunction with hydroquinone use even in persons who have used hydroquinone-containing cosmetics for a short time. Some studies also report abnormal function of the adrenal glands and high levels of mercury in people who have used hydroquinone-containing cosmetics. For these reasons, hydroquinone has already been banned in Japan, the European Union, and Australia.

Any skin-lightening products containing hydroquinone would be considered new drugs, according to the proposed FDA regulations. The products would require FDA approval before being sold to the public and would only be available with a doctor's prescription.

Following the proposed ban, a four-month comment period is in effect regarding the proposed changes in regulations during which time physicians, skin care companies, and consumers may voice their opinions and concerns about the proposed ban. It is not yet known if and when the proposed ban would take effect.

Reference: Federal Register: August 29, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 167)Proposed Rules, Page 51146-51155.

7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I have some problem about this product?
    Can you answer me?
    Can you PM me ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a tip. Can you include where you bought the products which you have reviewed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Woman, sorry for only reading your comments now (nobody ever left me any messages before, that's why I didn't bother to check).
    Anyway, I've got no idea how to use pm, could you send me a pm instead, I'll make sure that I'll reply it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, most of the products that are in my blog were purchased either online or in store in Macau/Hong Kong.
    I didn't leave the shop name because I didn't want people to think that I'm being paid to review.
    I got this product from watson's in HK, if you want to know where I got something just leave a message

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM is indicated for the gradual bleaching of hyperpigmented skin conditions such as chloasma, melasma, freckles, senile lentigines, and other unwanted areas of melanin hyperpigmentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting such a great blog. I found your website perfect for my needs. Read About Monobenzone

    ReplyDelete